Skip to main content

About me


I am a lecturer in sociology and criminology at the University of Gloucestershire. I was awarded my PhD by the University of Bristol in May 2020, having been supervised by Prof. Jutta Weldes and Dr Karen Tucker. I am a co-convener of the BISA Poststructural Politics Working Group.

My research focuses on in/security and identity on digital platforms such as YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and online news websites, asking what practices of violence these discourses make possible. Common sub-themes in my work include gender, technology, states, Orientalism and the everyday. I have an expertise in discourse analysis, digital methods and visual material such as images and videos. I sometimes publish on teaching, too.

I received a Distinction in my Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice in July 2022. I am also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a three-time nominee of the Bristol Teaching Awards at the University of Bristol, where I taught until June 2020. 

Memberships:

·       British International Studies Association

·       Political Studies Association

·       Global Insecurities Centre

·       SPAIS Gender Research Centre 

·       SPIN, the Secrecy, Politics and Ignorance Network

I also hold a BSc in Politics and MSc in Gender and International Relations, both from the University of Bristol. More widely I am a former member of the Bristol Festival of Ideas advisory board and a former contributor for Rife Magazine, where I aimed to discuss academic concepts in a way that would engage young people. Indeed, aside from my research and teaching, I enjoy participating in public engagement events, especially with colleges and schools. If you would like me to speak at your school or event, please do contact me.